Believe it or not, your logo is an integral part of your brand. Making a positive first impression to your audience is essential because it is what helps to determine your success. A logo can be seen on business cards, posters, magazines, and so much more. With that said, your logo must represent quality and reflect your brand in the best way possible. For this reason, we’re going to answer whether or not you should opt to make your own logo or whether you should get it done professionally.
Quality logos: Vector vs. Raster
Simply put, vector images are made of thin lines and curves, which are known as paths. Vector graphics are created in a computer software that is designed to create an intricately defined image. Each line in the image has node positions and locations, along with line lengths and curves. Additionally, this process allows each line to be assigned a color value. The end result leads to an image that can be sized and scaled repeatedly without losing its quality because the resolution will remain.
The benefits of a vector image:
- The image will always appear smooth even when increasing its size
- Easy to transfer because files are relatively smaller as compared to raster images
- Great for text logos
- There are free vector design websites, such as Gravit Designer that allows you to create vector images by downloading their software. In addition, if you don’t want to download the software, you can use Gravit in your browser. Inkscape also allows you to create vector images by downloading their software.
Raster (sometimes called Bitmap) images are made up of tiny pixels. Each pixel is an extremely small colored square. A raster image is assigned a specific number of pixels. This means that if you zoom in without changing the pixel amount, the image will start to look blurry, leading to a low-quality image. JPEG and GIF files are two common raster images. In fact, most images that you see on the web are raster images.
The benefits of a raster image:
- Great for producing rich and detailed images
- Easily compatible with many programs
While both vector and raster images pose some great benefits, it is best to use vector images as often as possible as vector images are more consistent in quality when it comes to creating illustrations and logos.
Getting a Professional logo vs. Doing it Yourself
Making your Own Logo
The main benefit of creating a logo yourself is that it is relatively affordable. You can easily find a free logo software and get satisfactory results. Additionally, there are some software that cost, but remain affordable for better results. However, making a logo yourself will have its limitations. For instance, most free logo making sites will charge you to download the vector image. This means that you may not always have the best quality logo. Additionally, you are not backed by a quality expert to create a design that will best suit your business. Here are some tips to help you create a quality logo yourself:
- Relate your logo to your brand: Think about your beliefs, values, and what makes you different from everyone else. This will help you make important decisions about your logo design.
- Take a look at the competition: Check out brands similar to yours to see how well their logo conveys their message. This is a good way to see how well your logo measures up to the competition.
- Choose colors wisely: Colors are extremely important when it comes to logos. Colors are packed with a lot of meaning and helps to convey a message. Be sure that you are choosing colors that speak to your business.
Getting a Logo Professionally Done
Logos need to be distinct to stand out and no one can create this distinctiveness better than a professional logo designer. Logo designers are skilled in creating logos that best align with the company’s brand. Getting your logo professionally designed is an investment in your business because you will essentially have a more professional look, achieve a consistent brand identity, and stand out from the crowd.
Ultimately, it is best to get your logo professionally done if possible. Professional logo designers will tailor your logo to fit your business, leading to optimum results. At Dedicated Web Designs, we are dedicated to improving your internet presence. We create logos, print, web images, and web videos. If you have any questions on how we can further help your business, contact us today.